Sunday, March 6, 2011

A.B.C.

Anyone familiar with the movie "Glengarry Glen Ross"?  If you're in Sales and you're not familiar with it, I'm super proud of you.  If you are familiar with the movie and the famous "ABC of selling" rant, I agree it's worth a laugh but I'm not sure anyone should ever train themselves to think that way or just naturally think that way.  "Always Be Closing"seems like a more-than-outdated concept.  Why? Because people are just people and the last time I checked, folks doing the buying are people and folks doing the selling are people.  So how about this.. change it up to "Always Be Caring?"

The Sales Guy does this so well and I love him for that and a million other reasons.  I am particularly fond of the way The Sales Guy prioritizes his time -- get to know and care about the buyer -- and then do the hardcore selling.  I'd even argue, it's not hardcore selling -- he's really trying to just understand what is going to make the customer happy and structure the deal that way.  While this approach may not be conducive to a short sales cycle, it scores big points when it comes to customer satisfaction and advocacy and genuinely being a good, respectable guy, which is way more important than anything else to The Sales Guy's Wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment